Updates and news available

John Bird, President Emeritus of the B.C. Confederation of ParentAdvisory Councils (BCCPAC)

Picture of Bayside PAC
John Bird, President Emeritus of the B.C. Confederation of ParentAdvisory Councils (BCCPAC)
by Bayside PAC - Thursday, 23 February 2017, 8:14 AM

February 21st, 2017

To the Parents and Families of SD 63,

It is with profound sorrow that I share with you the passing of John Bird, President Emeritus of the B.C. Confederation of Parent Advisory Councils (BCCPAC).  John stepped down earlier this year as BCCPAC president for health reasons. 

With John’s passing, B.C.’s students and parents have lost a tireless and passionate advocate for public education.  John has been involved in the school system for close to thirty years as a parent and a volunteer.  He has spent twenty years coaching, has served as a director on six different PACs over thirteen years and has been part of the Victoria DPAC executive for fifteen years, nine of those as the president.  John was also very active with BCCPAC, most recently taking on the role of president.

John was profoundly passionate about educating children in a public system that ensures the success of every student.  He believed that parents are grossly underrepresented in the decisions that are made about children in our schools and he wanted to see this changed. 

In his words: “Parents are the primary advocates for children.  BCCPAC must ensure that parents are involved and that their expertise is incorporated into all levels of decisions that affect our children’s school experience.”

In his brief time as President John has lead BCCPAC in many successes in its role as a key partner in education. From parents to politics John’s strength in forging strong relationships with our partners in education cannot be overstated.  First and foremost he always reminded us “It’s about the kids.”

I count myself lucky to have known and worked with John over the last few years.  He was a mentor, an inspiration and always quick to lend his time and support. 

On behalf of the parents and children of School District # 63, I like to offer our deepest regrets and condolences to the Bird family as they struggle with the loss of a loving husband and father.

As always, yours for the children…

James Taylor

President

Confederation of Parent Advisory Councils of Saanich (COPACS)