Grade 6 band

Welcome to 2018-19 School Year!

Picture of Amber Aitchison
Welcome to 2018-19 School Year!
by Amber Aitchison - Thursday, 6 September 2018, 10:02 AM

Dear New Band Parent, September 2018

I want to take this opportunity to welcome you and your child to the Bayside Middle School Band Program! I am excited about the opportunity to get to know all of you. Your son or daughter has begun an exciting part of their music education. Playing a band instrument can be very rewarding but it is also a great challenge requiring regular at-home practice to review new skills and techniques.

Required Materials:

Instruction Book: Tradition of Excellence Book 1, has very clear photographs, written descriptions, and access to an online interactive teacher studio. The price is approximately $15 and will be theirs to keep.

Instrument: I have booked an Instrument Rental Night on Wednesday September 5 (drop-in between 5:30-7pm) with representatives from Long and McQuade (L&M) to help your child select the best quality instrument with which to begin their musical journey. L&M rental prices range from $130-300 for the year. On that evening we will also have school instruments available (first come, first serve) to rent as well. I must let families know that although we do have some school instruments available, they are quite old (many are 45+ years) and not in the best shape to use for learning. School instrument rental cost is $150 for the year and do not include reeds/oil/care kit, band book, or insurance.

Cleaning and Care Kit: to keep the instrument in good, clean working order. Price starts at $15.

Reeds: only clarinet/saxophones: 10 reeds (Rico or Rico Royal brand strength size 2). Price starts at $15.

If you have access to an instrument from a friend or family member, please make sure it is in good working order and has had a complete tune-up and once-over by a reputable music repair person prior to the start of band class.

Uniform: As with all teams it is important to present a unified appearance for all performances. The uniform for Grade 6, 7, and 8 Band students is: black pants, black socks, and black shoes. Grade 6 students will be given a Band t-shirt to borrow. I ask that students do not wear shorts or skirts to performances. The uniform does not need to be formal (dress clothes), students may wear yoga pants, sweat pants, or track pants as long as they are completely black (not faded/no visible logos/markings).

Important Dates to Note: Please note these performances are mandatory, mark the dates on your calendar early to avoid unnecessary conflicts.

Wednesday December 12 @ 7pm Winter Band Concert in the Bayside Gym

Thursday December 13 @ block 1 Winter Band Concert for the school

Wednesday May 15 @ 7pm Spring Band Concert in the Bayside Gym

Thursday May 16 @ block 1 Spring Band Concert for the school

DATE TBA (likely April) Grade 6 Spring Band Festival Competition

Band Website: With this letter, I wish to invite you to subscribe to the band web page forums that are applicable for your child’s grade. /course/view.php?id=150

Don't hesitate to email me to discuss any questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Amber Aitchison

Bayside Middle School Band Director

aaitchison@saanichschools.ca