Grade 7 Band

Final Notes

Picture of Amber Aitchison
Final Notes
by Amber Aitchison - Tuesday, 27 June 2017, 12:26 PM

June 2017

Greetings Bayside Band Families,

I want to take a moment to thank you for a wonderful year of music making with the Bayside Band Program! It was a wonderful year for medals in our music department; earning a gold medal (Grade 6) and two silver medals (Grade 7&8) for our performances at festivals. Such a highlight for our Band Department! One that will be a legacy to live up to for years to come.

With this letter, I wish to invite you to subscribe to the band web page forums that are applicable for your child’s grade for the coming school year. Remove your subscription for the current school year too please. /course/view.php?id=150

I rarely send home paper newsletters. Instead, I use the website as a main source of communication.

Please note, the summer months are a perfect time to take your child's instrument in for yearly maintenance. Just like a car, it works best when maintained regularly and checked over by a professional who can clean it, make any adjustments to springs, rods, valves, and repair any damage that may keep it from playing beautifully (which causes frustration to your musician). If you have a Bayside instrument you must take the instrument to Long and McQuade. Cleaning and repairs are the responsibility of the band family as per the rental contract.

In September your child will be using new band books for class use and home practice. I have ordered these books and they will be available for purchase from Bayside in September.

As well, all percussionists continue to require: glockenspiel, practice pad, medium glockenspiel mallets, and nylon-tipped snare sticks which they obtained with their instrument in Grade 6. Continuing percussionists will add to their personal percussion equipment: felt mallets for timpani stick bag will be available to purchase from Bayside in September.

Lastly, if your family has any music items that are no longer being used we always welcome donations including: music method books, valve oil, new reeds, cleaning kits, sticks, mallets, music stands, instruments, percussion equipment, etc.

Have a calm summer and thank you once again Band students for a wonderful year of music making!

Sincerely,

Amber Aitchison

Band and PE teacher, Bayside Middle School

aaitchison@sd63.bc.ca