Grade 6 band

Practicing Week 1

Picture of Amber Aitchison
Practicing Week 1
by Amber Aitchison - Friday, 23 September 2016, 9:17 PM

What should Grade 6 Band students be practicing?

Grade 6's should practice how to setup, hold their instrument correctly, form their embouchure, and articulate (tongue/strike) the note. After about 20 minutes of playing their mouth will begin to feel fatigued and that is a good time to clean/dry the inside of the instrument (please do not use water on instruments...use the swab and cleaning kit). 

How frequently should my child be practicing?

Approx. 4 times per week outside of class time. More frequently is better...daily is best! The band room is open at lunch from 12:30-12:55 pm for students to practice alone or with friends (more fun).

What supplies should my child have for at-home practice?

Instrument, band book, pencil, music stand, comfortable-sturdy chair (or they can practice while standing), cleaning kit, and access to a computer/dvd/cd player. Our band book has a great dvd videos to show students how to assemble their instrument, hold it properly, form an embouchure, and has a play-along track to each exercise.

Weekly Update:

This week we learned what is mentioned above, and also began to look at the language of music notation. Terminology and symbols including: Staff, higher/lower pitches, lines/spaces, quarter notes (1 beat of playing), quarter rests (1 beat silence). While playing quarter notes and rests we practiced keeping a steady pulse and articulating the note with a "tu, ta, or tow" sound, being careful to not stop the air with the tongue but rather flick the tongue to interrupt the airflow and start each note.

Next week is a PE week, with instrumental masterclasses as follows (during silent reading):

Monday: Saxes

Tuesday: Brass

Wednesday: Grade 8 Band

Thursday: Flutes and Mallet percussion

Friday: Clarinet and Bass Clarinet

Students must attend masterclass with their instrument, band book, and pencil.

I look forward to seeing many of our Grade 6 Band students Saturday morning at Royal Oak Middle School from 9:45am-1pm at the Saanich Music Saturday workshop!