Grade 7 Band

Final weeks of Band

Picture of Amber Aitchison
Final weeks of Band
by Amber Aitchison - Friday, 16 May 2014, 1:43 PM

Grade 7 Band students are having their final week of band May 19-23. At this time, we will be busy collecting final marks: individual playing test, theory worksheets, clapping/rhythm dictee, and practice card check (March, April, May). I need to have report cards done prior to mat. leave.

At the start of June, a PE teacher will be taking over my classes and teaching PE until the end of the school year. Be prepared for warm weather, bring a water bottle, hat/sunglasses, sunscreen, deoderant, and of course a cool change of clothes.

Instruments can/should be taken for a cleaning and tune up. If you rented a school instrument, those come back to the school by May 30. If your child wishes to use that same school instrument next year, I request that you take it to L&M for a cleaning/tune up over the summer months. It should be billed to Bayside (SD63 Band instrument repairs).

If you rented an instrument through L&M or elsewhere, please return those in person (NOT TO THE SCHOOL).

Please encourage your son/daughter to practice/play throughout the summer months...perhaps some Disney books, duet music, or Pop music from their favourite singer/band. Anything to make practicing fun and engaging. In September we will start anew with a Band Teacher replacement. I'm sorry I do not know who that is yet, but I have been working with administration to ensure we hire the "best fit" to continue to inspire band students to play/learn new music. I will return Jan 1 from Mat. Leave. Although I am sad to not see your child everyday, I am excited to spend some time with our last baby...it's been a few years as our eldest two are just 6yrs and nearly 8yrs.

All students have been signed up for Band 8 next year, so please don't worry about re-registering. If you are planning to move or have other plans, let me know by the end of this month so that I can register someone from the waitlist. If your son/daughter is concerned about his/her instrument choice, a change is possible, though difficult. It requires lots of hard work and daily practice to get caught up to their peers. I suggest a few lessons over the summer months and bringing a friend over who plays that instrument to help get some basics learned on the new instrument. There will be NO students allowed to switch into percussion as that section is overflowing already. We could always use more Bass clarinet, Tenor sax, Bari sax, Trumpet, Trombone, Baritone...perhaps even a Flute...but no more altos or regular clarinet players, please.